Branding & Identity ( Total Topics: 0 )
Discuss logo design and techniques here.

logo grid

by dsauna • Posted: Feb. 19 '12

Hi All,

I've seen many designs using specific grids and circles for geometric almost perfection. This site talks a little bit about it http://imjustcreative.com/using-guides-grids-pretty-circles-in-logo-design/2011/06/01/ and designers like Dache use these grids all the time.

Does anyone know where should I start if I want to learn to create my own effective grids for logo design?

Thanks in advance.

logomotive said on Feb. 20 '12

To be honest... I think Most guidelines(circlcles etc.),. you see these days are a bunch of "Fluff" just made to look like you know what your doing. I even think designers are getting caught up inot it so much that they actually lose that 'Artistic Flare'. It seems designers are even constricting their work based on these circles and guidlines and losing out on a whole window of opprotunity.

designerdan said on Feb. 20 '12

Agreed... it's just visual masturbation.

^ pardon my terrible grammar.

ColinTierney said on Feb. 20 '12

seems like a stupendous waste of time...of course, imo.

AlexWende said on Feb. 20 '12

@Mike I think you're right at some points! Depending on the logo and requested visual communication it is not needed in every logo design...

@dsauna I would start with Gathering information, Brainstorming/Mindmapping and in the process I would recommend that Sketching comes always first to keep the creativity flowing since grids could as Mike said already constrict your creativity. If you come up with a geometric concept or something that requires some kind of a grid only then I would use a grid =)

Alex, I think grids and guidelines are Good even Great! I use to check. The Eye does not Lie.

lumavine said on Feb. 20 '12

What you are talking about is a presentation strategy rather than a design strategy. A great logo will be great regardless of how many circles it is created from. I have found that strict geometric forms typically leave a bit to be desired to the eye. But I think there is a time and place for showing some of your design decisions with a helpful graphic. For example, one project I worked on recently had a bunch of 30 degree angles, which I echoed in the text by making the terminals the same angle in some places. To show that aspect of the lettering detail, one might add some guide lines that highlight the matching angles. It could be a valid presentation strategy. I do think that if you are showing that part of the process, showing some sketches is also helpful. But I wouldn't focus on learning how to add that stuff, just focus on making great logos.

balic said on Feb. 21 '12

I agree that saometimes guides are very useful, especially with angles, rounded elements, and positioning between elements.
Here is the most complex grid I have seen and some explanation on why he uses it by David (helvetic brands): http://dribbble.com/shots/434894-Ibex-grid-part-2?list=following&page=2

I see the use of many guides there, and of many others I don't. But I don't think he made a bunch of guides just to show off. And I hope he'll make that tutorial one day to make clearer why and how to use guides.

I think @AlexWende gave a good answer on where to start.
Good luck!

nido said on Feb. 21 '12

Hi Daniel. I'll give you effective grids with my fist if I see you using that rubbish.

Hows things otherwise brother.. married life good?

logomotive said on Feb. 21 '12

Stick to those grids guys.

Please login/register to make a comment, registration is easy,

Logopond Book V1 - On Sale Now

THE BOOKS ARE FINALLY HERE!!!