General ( Total Topics: 0 )
Hmmm, this topic isn't about design specifically, where should I post it?...Right here!

Colored background

by designfacet • Posted: Feb. 24 '12

Just wanted to get your input on using colored background in logo design. I have noticed that some designers present their logo design to the client on colored or textured background with gradations, is this good practice or effective? Would it not be better If a white background is used?

lumavine said on Feb. 24 '12

I don't see what I do as 'logo design' as much a branding. A brand is more than a logo. I often find it helpful to present my work in the context of my vision for the brand, which could include different background colors, applications, or whatever is fitting to explaining the brand. On the other hand, it is important to focus the conversation on concept at the beginning, so that you have a solid foundation for the brand. Don't get caught up discussing colors right away. Your presentation style is something you will develop over time, and for me, often can be different for different clients.

designfacet said on Feb. 24 '12

good answer. I think how I am starting to go about it now is to show b&w of the logo and have the client pick the one they like to work with. After that I explore colors. I will always work on a white background. Like you said if it is branding then the project scope will differ and so does the cost of doing it, that can be the next stage.

kek said on Feb. 24 '12

When I design a logo, I try among other things to bare mind that: a) It must be able to stand as a black & white. b) It must be able to be negative. c) It must tolerate to be reduced to only few millimeters in size. A colorful and complicated logo may be a good seller but could cause problems in reality. A simple minimalistic logo in one color is often the hardest to design...

kek said on Feb. 25 '12

Less is more

This symbol can be found carved into the pavement in the ruins of Pompei (310 B.C). I'ts purpose was to to lead the way to ceartain service in the city:
http://images.travelpod.com/users/shazlex/1.1201955700.pompeii---sign-to-whore-house.jpg

Putting a deep and complex meaning into a simple sign or a monogram is the greatest challenge for a or logo- or a monogram designer ;-)

Creating a logo based on a complex illustration can be an ideal solution when a company's brand needs a unique look. But as I mentioned before, can have a significant hurdles along the way - How does the logo, for example, appear in the small "Url" field, in your Browser?

An amateur can produce a visually appealing and colorful piece of art that fails to represent the Company's brand, or adequately tell its story- Only an Illustration with a text?

The use of simple colors and shapes makes it easier to perceive by the viewer. It is easier on the eyes and will be easier to remember. One glance at it makes it you remember it due to it's simpleness and strong Iconic visual - for example the logos of Nike, Apple or FedEx logo and more...

"Some simple logos actually have complex meanings. These are done by really great logo designers for they are able to integrate a hidden message no matter how simple the design is. Now take a look at FedEx%u2019s logo. It uses simple typography and two colors only but as you look more at it, you can see a hidden message. In between the letters e and x is an arrow which symbolizes the company%u2019s aim for progress"
Your design doesn%u2019t really need to be complex in order for it to look professional and trustworthy...

...Simplicity is beauty.

kek said on Feb. 28 '12

With full respect, I have made my point and so have you - I have nothing to add to this argument, let it be the fact that everyone is entitled to have his opinion and like I mentioned before: Sometimes, rules are meant to be broken - but to be able to brake the rules you have to know the rules. I often have to remind myself of a sentence I once heard "Keep it simple stupid".

For further understanding:

http://logopond.com/threads/4/147#chanpion

Please login/register to make a comment, registration is easy,

Logopond Book V1 - On Sale Now

THE BOOKS ARE FINALLY HERE!!!